The Tucson Conquistadores are a Charitable Organization dedicated to supporting Youth Athletics in Southern Arizona. Founded by Tucson Businessman and Philanthropist Roy Drachman in 1962, the Conquistadores have been influential in the promotion of Golf in the Tucson area. The PGA Tucson Open 1966-2006 raised more than $15 million for Conquistadores charities. Then, as primary organizers of The World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship at Dove Mountain the Conquistadores raised record levels of funds for Southern Arizona youth (in 2014 the event generated $1.3 for charity.) The tournament was televised in 140 countries and considerably enhanced Tucson’s notability as a premier golf destination. The Conquistadores are an all volunteer organization and members engage in a variety of activities to raise funds and organize the annual PGA Event including: Parking attendant, ticket sales and even food and beverage hosts; whatever jobs are necessary to a successful event.
The Conquistadores have engaged in a variety of fundraising activities over the years:
- The annual Sports Award Banquet was the original fundraising event from 1963 through 1994,
- Other projects included five professional tennis tournaments in 1969, 1973, 1977 and 1980,
- The group also sponsored the LPGA Open from 1983-1987,
- In 1966, the Conquistadores adopted the Tucson Open PGA golf tournament.
- From 2007 through 2014, the Tucson Conquistadores served as the tournament leadership team and sales arm for the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship held at The Golf Club at Dove Mountain. This prestigious tournament featured the top 64 golfers in the world.
- The Conquistadores Classic, held at Tucson Omni National Resort beginning in 2015
Of course Tournament proceeds benefit youth athletic programs in Southern Arizona. Among the programs receiving funds from the Conquistadores is The First Tee Tucson
Which spreads the Conquistadores love of Golf forward, and, Sporting Chance Center an indoor basketball and volleyball facility (Remember it’s Tucson). Partnering with Pima County, Tucson Medical Center Boys & Girls Clubs and others The Conquistadore have benefitted their community greatly over the years. Click HERE for a list.