The Tucson Conquistadores are a Charitable Organization dedicated to supporting Youth Athletics in Southern Arizona. It was Founded by Tucson Businessman and Philanthropist Roy Drachman in 1962. The Conquistadores are influential in the promotion of Golf in the Tucson area using various charitable events.
- The PGA Tucson Open (1966-2006) raised more than $15 million for charities.
- As primary organizers of The World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship at Dove Mountain the Conquistadores raised millions for Southern Arizona youth. Televised in 140 countries it also consistently promoted Tucson as a premier golf destination.
Furthermore, many celebrities have been associated with the Conquistadores over the years. Participants Including: Bob Hope, Lawrence Welk, Michael Landon and Dean Martin. The Conquistadores have a dedication to supporting this community that is compelling. That drive probably brings many of the celebrities who support the events. As a result of the celebrities, and, the golfing professionals involved; The Conquistadores have consistently supported Arizona Sports programs while promoting the Tucson community to the rest of the world.
Since The Conquistadores are an all volunteer organization, the Members engage in a variety of activities. Raising money isn’t all stars, games and glamorous parties. Organizing the annual PGA Event includes volunteering for jobs like: Parking attendant, ticket sales and even food and beverage hosts. They do whatever jobs are necessary for a successful event.
The Conquistadores have engaged in a variety of fundraising activities over the years:
- The annual Sports Award Banquet was the original fundraising event from 1963 through 1994,
- Other projects included five professional tennis tournaments in 1969, 1973, 1977 and 1980,
- The group also sponsored the LPGA Open from 1983-1987,
- In 1966, the Conquistadores adopted the Tucson Open PGA golf tournament,
- From 2007 through 2014, the Tucson Conquistadores served as the tournament leadership team and sales arm for the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship held at The Golf Club at Dove Mountain. This prestigious tournament featured the top 64 golfers in the world,
- The Conquistadores Classic, held at Tucson Omni National Resort beginning in 2015 ,
- the 2018 Cologuard Classic
Tournament proceeds benefit youth athletic programs in Southern Arizona. Among the programs receiving funds from the Conquistadores is The First Tee Tucson
Which spreads the Conquistadores love of Golf forward, and, Sporting Chance Center an indoor basketball and volleyball facility (Remember it’s Tucson). Partnering with Pima County, Tucson Medical Center Boys & Girls Clubs and others The Conquistadore have benefitted their community greatly over the years. Click HERE for a list.